CivicActions is a dedicated, fun-loving team, looking for some talented folks to help us bring revolutionary digital services to government agencies and the people they serve.
For this position, we need someone with a passion for human research, design thinking, emerging technology and personal transformation.
As a Visual Designer at CivicActions, you will collaborate across disciplines in a radically open environment to develop delightful government internet prototypes and applications. You start with a deep understanding of the goals of customers and the business to create experiences that delight people.
You are well-versed in all aspects of current visual design standards and trends and will be responsible for managing project design reviews, resource planning, and execution for all visual project work. A minimum of five years visual design and at least two years Agile experience is required. This role works within our agile process as a key design resource for the scrum team with our clients in the public sector. The current position is a remote work position, but some travel to client locations will be required. U.S. citizenship is required for this position.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
Your good sense of humor, collaborative nature, and high-quality communication style will be a great addition to our talented team. Your presence and work will support our mission to come alongside our government agency clients as partners in open and agile transformation. Together, we'll make it enjoyable for them to come to work every day, and pass that joy on to their citizens and customers. As part of a cross functional team you will be involved with the co-creation of project plans and pre-sales activities (estimates, sprint plans, scope, approach, schedule, risks).
We are a mission-minded team, and we're looking for others like us with a true passion for using technology to make a positive change in our world. You should be comfortable in a consulting or professional services environment, in addition to working with cross-functional agile teams. We also like to see a track record of contributions to open community projects.
Sound good so far? Great, keep reading!
We're also looking for candidates with the following experience:
- Guides, mentors and coaches team members while leading projects to successful completion
- Develops and maintains relationships with key peers in marketing, branding, UX leaders, IT leaders, and others to identify and plan creative solutions
- Manages external service resources and budgets for visual design
- Ensures successful completion of all work executed by the team (on time, on budget and ensuring quality)
- Ensures compliance with the project management methodologies
- Develops, maintains and ensures compliance of application release management, outage management and change control processes and standards
- Defines, creates, communicates and manages resource plans and other required project documentation such as style guides and provides updates as necessary
Desired Skill Set
- Intense curiosity about people and human interactions
- Ability to appreciate and communicate with both introverts and extroverts
- Desire to become an extraordinary communicator by searching inside yourself
- Minimum of 5 years experience in software, web and/or mobile visual design
- In depth knowledge of Agile and/or Lean practices with at least 2 years experience
- Ability to see patterns and identify unstated needs
- Experience with GitHub, Trello, Slack are a plus
We excel in our benefits offering and believe that people who are well taken care of can be more balanced, healthy and happy. We offer 100% company-paid medical insurance, disability insurance, and life insurance. We have a generous 401(k) program. We have an open vacation policy -- employees are encouraged to take time off as needed to feel balanced, productive and healthy. We have paid maternity and paternity leave. We have an annual all-hands retreat to connect with each other in person. We also emphasize professional development and offer an annual stipend.
Community participation is important to us and we ask that you spend 5% of your working time giving back to a community that you care about. We attempt to keep our work products 'open by default'. This means that it is our intention that your work contributions during your time at CivicActions will be published under public license, enabling you to bring your passion fully into your activities without the fear that your expressions will be locked away or prevented from having a positive impact in the world.
We are almost entirely a fully distributed remote team. For this position, you can normally work from home or find a great co-working space, although occasional on-site visits and working sessions with clients will be necessary. You will need a computer, webcam, strong internet connection and a structured schedule because we are a truly collaborative team. Ideally your timezone will be within the continental United States.
How to Apply
We find strength and inspiration in the things that make each of us unique. In striving for a more diverse team, we strongly encourage women, people of color, and physically-challenged people to apply.